This is my favourite banana bread, AND….. I’ve put some serious work into searching for the best one! It’s not 100% healthy, it must be said. BUT it’s so worth it, as a little weekend treat. Or maybe even in small portions, as an on-the-go snack – admittedly it has sugar and butter BUT, on the bright side, it also has lots of pecans! This perfect treat is the work of the wonderful Avoca – the home of our studios.
- 225g plain flour
- 1 teasp. salt
- 1 teasp. baking powder
- 1 teasp. ground cinnamon
- 110g caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 75g butter, melted
- Few drops of vanilla essence
- 100g pecan nuts, chopped
- 4 medium-sized ripe bananas, mashed
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Mix in the egg, butter and vanilla essence, but do not beat.
- Fold in the pecans and mashed bananas, using a fork. Again do not beat.
- Spoon into a lined loaf tin and bake in an oven preheated to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 for 50-60 minutes, until the loaf is golden brown and springs back
- when prodded gently with your finger.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve with berries, Greek yoghurt. And, maybe even some salted, honey tossed pecans.